Market Garden Assistant 2023 Season
Position Details: Full-time seasonal, 40hrs/week.
Start Date & Duration: April – November 2023
Compensation: Starting at $16.50/hr + weekly veggies, commensurate with experience.
Location: 484872 Sweaburg Rd, Woodstock, Ontario. (~5km south of Woodstock & the 401)
Job Application Due Date: March 19, 2023
Milky Way Farm: A Small-scale Regenerative Organic Vegetable Farm
Milky Way Farm is an ecologically focused, 4 season mixed vegetable farm, owned and operated by Meghan Brandenburg & Jesse Way.
Growing on 1.5 acres just south of Woodstock, Ontario, Milky Way Farm follows a regenerative agricultural approach striving to improve the health of the soil while providing fresh, nutrient dense, organically grown vegetables for our surrounding community. We utilize a variety of ecologically focused growing practises including cover cropping and diverse crop rotations, low and no-till soil preparation, and the incorporation of perennial fruit trees, berry bushes and flowers throughout the farm to enhance pollinator and beneficial insect habitat.
We are looking for a hard-working, motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our team for the 2023 growing season.
Our ideal candidate is someone that has a demonstrated passion for food and farming, is physically fit and able to kneel, squat, bend and be on your feet for extended durations of time as well as be able to lift 40lbs and work outdoors in all weather conditions. Previous farm experience is preferred but those with other outdoor work experience and an enthusiastic attitude to learn are also encouraged to apply.
The primary tasks and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Seed starting and transplanting vegetable seedlings.
- Hoeing and hand weeding.
- Setting up irrigation equipment i.e. sprinklers and driplines.
- Setting up and maintaining crop and soil protection materials i.e. tarps, landscape fabric, row covers and insect netting.
- Pruning and trellising.
- Harvesting and washing vegetables.
- Preparing and packing customer orders.
- Assisting with vegetable bed preparation i.e. compost and amendment application, broadforking, raking etc. to prepare beds for seeding and transplanting.
Requirements for the job include:
- Ability to work independently as well as a part of a small team.
- Ability to carry out repetitive tasks i.e. transplanting, weeding, harvesting.
- Attention to detail and efficiency, motivated to improve over time.
- Self-motivated, and able to receive and implement feedback.
- Be able to commit for the duration of the job position (April – November).
- Have dependable transportation to arrive at work on time. (Our farm is located ~5 minute drive south of Woodstock and a 401 interchange).
- Provide your own weather appropriate gear to work in.
- An interest in ecological food production and high quality food!
- Provide your own accommodation.
Please send your resume, references and a cover letter/short description of why you would like to work with us, and your current availability to Jesse at firstname.lastname@example.org